I realized that I wrote this mini review of Hoosiers about 6 months ago and never posted it. I cleaned it up and I’m posting in in honor of Dennis Hopper. RIP.
Maybe I love this movie so much because I was born in Indianapolis but didn’t grow up in Indiana. So I view it withÂ some kind of forced nostalgia for what could have been. Maybe I’m a racist bastard for liking a movie about 5 white guys who can play basketball? A story about a poor farm school that comes out of nowhere to win the state championship, how could you not like this. It’s the prototype underdog story for people my age.
These are more notes than a review, because for me this would be like reviewing Star Wars. Because I’ve loved this move for so long and I went to college at George Mason (The Milton HS of the NCAA tourney)Â There’s no way I could ever provide an objective review for this movie. So here are some thoughts.
- Early on I think that the music is influenced a little bit too much by the 1980’s a little but too much synth.
- What a sweet leather jacket Gene Hackman has.
- My dad ran these drills in practice. I’m sure of it.
- *shotgun blast*, “IDENTIFY!” Has to be one of the best greetings in film history.
- “I apologize for nothing” (Hackman at the town meeting) He might as well end this speech with “Suck it.”
- Jimmy = Jesus!
- Jimmy comes back from months of quietly shooting jumpers in his lawn and is draining threes long twos on the other team like he’s been there the whole time. He’s like Jordan, everyone else around him is now an all star.
- Gale has to be one of the ballsiest SOB’s ever. He just barely survives the townspeople revolt so he decides to get himself thrown out of a close game to teach the drunk assistant coach a lesson about responsibility. Or it was a blowout and Norman was sweating bullets in the locker room as Shooter almost blows the whole thing.
- Also Shooter’s first speech makes no sense, “Allow yourself to be taken out”, nothing like that happens on the court. I think he was still drunk. That might change the whole scene!
- I’m positive my Dad ran the picket fence play during a game I played in when I was 13.
- What’s with the way the other assistant coach runs off the court after Shooter wins that game? He looks like Phoebe from Friends.
- In all those practices did he forget to do the “moving without the ball” drill, because they just stand still in the first game.
- Why does he need 2 assistant coaches? There are only 6 players.
- They really do play up the romance without much exposition besides one walk and helping with the groceries. …If only it were that easy.
- “Don’t be distracted by their fancy uniforms” …awwwwweeee ORANGE.
- “I want to know what flavor gum he’s chewing” and the answer later is Dentine? Dentine is a flavor?
Differences in this viewing.
I finally got that the basketball scholarship thing really wasn’t going to happen. I never believed her that she was looking out for his best interests. I just thought that she didn’t know just HOW GOOD Jimmy was. So her character becomes a little more sympathetic.
The movie is still awesome and will always be awesome. I could fall asleep to the montage of the state basketball tournament every night and be happy. It’s one of those movies that makes you think that even at (close to) 30 I can still find some sporting event that I can be the underdog in and win the whole thing.