I’ve been trying to get some lettering done recently. I found a bunch of inspiration sites on the web and I’ve been drawing nothing but letters in my sketchbook recently. So I did these tests for a band called “The Primate Fiasco” that I saw last year at Floydfest.
Another example after the break.
when your room looks kind of weird
I was listening to The Nerdist podcast the other day and I heard them talking about Matt Mira’s love of anything Frasier. Â They mentioned a Muppet Babies/ Frasier crossover and I was instantly thinking of doing something. This was one of those projects that I probably don’t really have time for, but I couldn’t get it out of my head. So I just decided to do it and get it out there, it’s not perfect, but I love it!
Time to put together the ideas in my head, with the materials in my basement. Etsy store, here I come.
I followed some advice from a friends wife who works with prosthetic make-up appliances. Who suggested I make a rig to really hold the mold closed. It’s really cut down on the running looking like an idiot while white plastic gets stuck in all my finger hairs. The models do come out cleaner, but they are a little bent from the wood putting pressure on different parts of the mold. But I think I can fix that with some sanding and a little Epoxy clay.
Also, utility knives are sharp.
I’ve done a lot of casting, but all plaster so far. I knew that if I was going to make more complex detailed designs then I would need to move to epoxy plastic casting. In hindsight I should have started with a simpler, one piece mold. I thought that since this shape is basically a ball it would be easier.
- Not building a outer mold
- Forgot the pour spout in the mold making.
- probably should have cast this upside down, to avoid bubbles in the face.
- I worried way too much about getting all the angles perfect on the prototype, i’m going to have to fix all these bubbles anyway.
- I should have built in places to screw this down.
- probably should have used deeper registration marks.
remove clay, feel sense of accomplishment.
Trying to make a mold for a small project I’m working on. I thought it was going to be a simple sculpture to start with. But the size and the fact that I wanted to keep it hollow are making it very challenging. I’ve followed a bunch of different tutorials online about making the mold. That’s not really the hard part. I think it’s very difficult to judge how much silicone you’ll need. Like everything in this it’s really important to plan ahead… which I’m not that good at.
gallery of process after the break.